Blog Post #1: Bible Archaeology
1. What are some new things that you learned about Jesus from your own group presentation? Be specific.
When I was assigned this topic with my group, I did not have
the slightest clue to what the Site of Calvary was. When I was doing research on it, I found that it was the site where Jesus was crucified. Since I have attended Catholic School since 5th grade, I knew that Jesus was crucified on the cross but I did not know that the place that the event occured had a specific name. I also learned that a church called the Church of the Holy Sepulchre was built on the site that Jesus was killed. I learned that 2 other men were murdered with Jesus. Their names were Dismas and Gestas. Both men were thieves and were being crucified for robbery. Gestas mocked Jesus and asked him if he was really God, while Dismas asked Jesus to remember him. I knew that Jesus was crucified, but by doing this project I learned the different details and people that were apart of this event.
2. What are some new things that you learned about Jesus from your classmates’ group presentations? Be specific.
Some things I learned about Jesus from my classmates’ group presentations is who buried Jesus, who killed Jesus, and that Jesus
was hated in addition to being loved and praised. I never really thought of the details of Jesus’s death, such as who buried or who killed him. From one presentation, I learned that a man named Joseph, who was Jesus’s uncle was the man who buried Jesus. Joseph actively displayed his love for Jesus, which put him in jail (Stump). The second thing I learned was that the man who killed Jesus was named Pontius Pilate. Pilate was a Roman governor who officiated Jesus’s trial (Olson). Pilate was the one who decided to kill Jesus for no reason at all. Since Jesus was such a good person, he forgave Pilate for his actions. The last thing I learned was that Jesus was hated even when he was born. King Herod let the power of greed take over him, and killed all the babies in the land hoping that one was Jesus. Herod did not want to give up his power to Jesus, so he decided to try and kill Jesus instead.
3. Which topic related to Jesus’ life did you find to be most fascinating and why?
I found the Shroud of Turin most fascinating, because even though we don’t know if it directly relates to Jesus, it is still a very interesting artifact. The fact that the Shroud of Turin was kept in tact for nearly 1300-3000 years is incredible. The pigment that stained that cloth must have been something that doesn’t fade very easily. I find it fascinating that there is still so much detail in the body and face of the person that it is depicting, whether it be Jesus or just a random person. The cloth is even made out of linen, something that can be weathered very easily, so it is incredible that it is still in the condition that it is today. It is so interesting that there could be so many stories attached to this one piece of cloth, and different people can have different opinions based on it.
4. After reflecting on Jesus’ characteristics in the last unit and the events related to his life in this unit, who are two people in your life who display similar qualities as Jesus and why?
Two people in my life who display similar qualities to Jesus are my friend, Lauren, and my dad. My friend Lauren is just an all-around great person, like Jesus was. She always is
so sweet to everyone she meets and tries to help out all people, like Jesus did. Similar to Jesus, she is never afraid of expressing her beliefs on topics and is willing to give up anything for people in need. An example of this was a few years ago, for Christmas, she did not ask for presents. Instead she asked for blankets and pillows so that she can give them to people in need. That year she received no material gifts for herself during Christmas, but instead did a good deed and gave herself the gift of happiness. My dad also shared similar qualities with Jesus. Like Jesus, my dad always pushed the idea that everything was going to be okay. No matter what situation we were going through or what stresses we had, he always had a positive attitude and told us that everything was going to be okay. This is like Jesus who believed that as long as you have faith in God, everything was going to turn out ok. My dad also saw the good in all people. No matter what a person did to him or if someone treated him badly, he always forgave them and helped them out when they needed it.
Olsen, Ted. “The Life & Times of Jesus of Nazareth: Did You Know?” Christian History | Learn the History of Christianity & the Church, www.christianitytoday.com/history/issues/issue
Lizleafloor. “The Shroud of Turin: Controversial Cloth Defies Explanation as Study Shows It Has
CodeX. “Good Friday Jesus Christ Images and Pictures.” Good Friday, 15 Mar. 2017, good-friday
Staas, Katie. "Shroud of Turin." Bible Archaeology Presentations, 13 September 2017, Notre Dame High school, Room 250, Belmont, CA. Google Slides Presentation.
Stump, Avery. "Joseph of Arimathea." Bible Archaeology Presentations, 13 September 2017, Notre
Dame High school, Room 250, Belmont, CA. Google Slides Presentation.
Olson, Meghan. "Pontius Pilate." Bible Archaeology Presentations, 13 September 2017, Notre Dame High school, Room 250, Belmont, CA. Google Slides Presentation.
Gellner, Leilani. "Reign of Herod and the Slaughter of the Innocents." Bible Archaeology
Presentations, 13 September 2017, Notre Dame High school, Room 250, Belmont, CA. Google
Slides Presentation.

Comments
Post a Comment