Blog Post #6: The Beatitudes




What were new things that you learned about the Beatitudes?
Jesus made the Beatitudes for people during his time,
which is why many of the beatitudes don't relate to
people now as much as they did to people back 2,000
years ago.
This unit I learned many things about the Beatitudes. I learned that they were basically blessings for different people and things in the world. I learned that the Beatitudes could be interpreted many different ways because each person who reads them is different. Every person has different past experiences and lessons they have learned from, which is why each interpretation is specific to the person who is reading it. The Beatitudes were written for people 2,000 years ago, which means that they might not relate to us as much as they do to people back them. I learned that the Beatitudes are different from the Ten Commandments because they are not necessarily rules that Christians have to follow, but blessings and acts of humility and love. Lastly, I learned that there are eight blessings that are classified as the Beatitudes.

Which beatitude resonates with you the most and why?
Jesus comforting an old woman who is mourning.
The beatitude that resonates with me the most is "Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted."  This beatitude resonates with me the most because many people in this world are mourning, whether it be for the loss of a loved one or personal problems. Many people develop depression because of the hardships they go through in life, and this blessing calls to God to help these people.  We only have a short time on this Earth, and we cannot spend it in a mournful state, so we call on God to let these people see the light of Him and be rejoiced.  I feel that this beatitude applies to people today the most which is why it resonates with me the most.  Whether it be today, 2,000 years ago, or 2,000 years in the future, people are mourning and will go through hardships.

What were some things you realized during the class discussion (“gallery walk”)?
During the gallery walk, I realized that there are so many different interpretations of the Beatitudes. There was not one paper that was the same. This activity further proves the
Everyone is different because of their past experiences
and lessons they have learned throughout their life.
idea that not one person is the same. Everyone's past experiences and lessons they have learned plays a part in the interpretation process of the Beatitudes. Each person had different symbols for each beatitude, and the symbol could either be drawn or a picture from online. God's plan for everyone is different, which contributes to a person's ideas and mindset about different things they encounter in their life.

How can you display the beatitudes more in your life?
I want to strive to be a peacemaker in this world.  It
might be on a small level, but at least I am making
a difference in the world.
I can display the beatitudes more in my life by carrying out some of the things that they bless. For example, one says "bless the peacemakers...", which is something I could strive to be. Instead of wanting to hear the latest drama, I could be creating peace between people who have conflicts or just be nice and kind to all people. Being kind to people can create peace because it could make someone else's day that much better. I could also display the beatitude that states "blessed are the clean of heart...". I admire people who I believe are so pure in the heart because they never have bad intentions and they are always the sweetest people. I want to push myself to be the best version of myself because that will make me the purest I can be.

“THE EIGHT BEATITUDES OF JESUS.” Jesuschristsavior.net, www.jesuschristsavior.net/Beatitudes.html.

ThingLink. “Blessed Are Those Who Mourn, for They Will Be Comforted. by Noah Roe.”ThingLink, www.thinglink.com/scene/634058225850777602.

“Diversity and Inclusion.” KPMG, home.kpmg.com/nz/en/home/about/diversity-inclusion.html.

“Prophets and Peacemakers.” Joshua Hook, 9 Mar. 2015, www.joshuanhook.com/prophets-peacemakers/.


Comments

Popular Posts