Blog Post #7: Discipleship


What did you learn about the original disciples from the group projects?

This is St. Peter's Basilica, a church in Rome where the
remains of the disciple Jude are.
I learned many things about the original disciples from the group projects. They became the first apostles because they taught others what Jesus taught them. I learned that the original disciples were named Peter, James the Greater, James the Lesser, John, Andrew, Bartholomew, Judas, Matthias, Jude, Matthew, Philip, Simon of Zealot, and Thomas. Before becoming disciples of Jesus, the original disciples were either fisherman, tradesmen, or merchants. Their remains were buried in different churches and sacred places throughout Europe. For example, the disciple Jude's remains were taken to Italy and buried in St. Peter's Basilica. I learned that the only disciple that was not martyred was John, who died of old age. All of the other disciples were martyred, mostly by crucifixion. An interesting thing I learned from one of the group presentations was that Jesus chose Judas to be an original disciple because he had to fulfill the prophecy.


Which disciple did you find most interesting and why?

The kiss of Jude, which helped Roman soldiers know which of
the men were Jesus.
I found Judas most interesting because he is the disciple that betrayed Jesus. Jesus knew that Judas was a thief and did not make logical decisions, yet he still allowed him to become a disciple. Jesus knew he was supposed to be betrayed, killed, and resurrected, and he made Judas a disciple in order to make sure that would happen. This showed Jesus's love for his enemies and how he believed that anyone could be absolved of their sins. On the day that Jesus was killed Judas kissed Jesus so the Roman soldiers would know who they needed to capture. This was called the kiss of Judas. As a result of the guilt he felt after he betrayed Jesus, Judas hung himself.

Based on what you learned, what are the characteristics of people who follow Christ?

Followers of Christ look to God and Jesus in times of
weakness, which is a good characteristic they have.
People who follow Christ are loyal to other people. They are loyal enough that they choose to spread the Word of God and teach others what Jesus has taught them. They have the ability to forgive people even for the horrible things they have done. Even those who struggled to make the right decisions before following Christ have the ability to change their way and be accepted. Followers of Christ are accepting of others, no matter how different a person may be. They are optimistic and they do not limit their minds to only believing certain things. No matter how difficult life may be, disciples choose to put their faith in God and believe that everything is going to be okay.


Do you feel that you display any of these characteristics? Why or why not?


I would like to display forgiveness more in my life because it
shows others that you can look past their flaws and see the
good in them.
I feel that I display many of these characteristics in my life. I am very loyal to the people that I love and will defend them when others have wronged them. I sometimes have trouble to forgive those who have done bad things to me or in general because I only see how those actions have a bad effect on me. I want to learn to be more forgiving towards people and learning their side of the story before I judge them. I feel that I have the ability to change the things that I am not so good at. I am also accepting of all people, no matter what they look like or believe in. As long as people have a good heart and mean to do good, that is all that matters. Lastly, I choose to put my faith in God when things get tough. When I approach obstacles in life instead of pushing God away, I look to God to guide me through life because I know that he looks out for me.


“St Peter's Basilica, Vatican Highlights.” Roma Experience, www.romaexperience.com/st-peters-basilica/.

Pritchard, Dr. Ray. “Did Judas Repent?” Crosswalk.com, Salem Web Network, 9 Mar. 2016, www.crosswalk.com/blogs/dr-ray-pritchard/did-judas-repent.html.


“BIBLE CHARACTERS.” Pinterest, www.pinterest.co.uk/nellieviloria/bible-characters/.

“Forgiveness Quiz.” Greater Good, greatergood.berkeley.edu/quizzes/take_quiz/forgiveness.



Comments

Popular Posts