Blog Post #10: Growth

1. Which event that you learned about from the Church History textbook presentations did you find most interesting and why?

During the Great Schism, the Eastern
and Western Church split, which caused
conflict.
The most interesting event I learned about from the Church was the Great Schism because I never knew that the Eastern and Western Church split.  I always knew that people in the Church disagreed
on some things, but I never knew that it split.  I learned that each side of the Church had their own Christian capital; one being Rome and the other being Avignon.  This event was devastating to the Church because it showed how distant everyone was from each other.  There were differences in language, the relationship between the Church and the state, and worshipping icons.  The split was consensual from both sides, and the Church is still split today.



2. Which person whom you learned about from the Church History textbook presentations did you find most interesting and why?

Pope John Paul II strived for peace
between people and religion during
his reign.
I thought Pope John Paul II was the most interesting person from the textbook presentations because of his journey and what he did for the Church.  He was born in Krakow, Poland in 1920 and went on to become the Pope in 1978.  He was elected after Pope John Paul I died 33 days after he became Pope.  Pope John Paul II named himself after Pope John Paul I to honor his legacy and what he did for the Church.  I found that to be a very kind act which showed Pope John Paul II's true personality.  He supported a group called Solidarity which helped take down Communism.  He also suggested organized a World Day of Prayer after 9/11, which brought leaders from all different religions around the world to pray.


3. If you end up being known as an influential figure in history, what do you want to be remembered for?

If I end up being known as an influential figure in history, I want to be remembered for being good
I want to be remembered for being simple and doing things
out of the goodness of my heart, like Mother Teresa.
and simple.  I do not want to do anything grand or try to make people see that I am a good person.  I want people to know me and be influenced by me because I show them that they could be like me.  Mother Teresa is a great example of this.  She did not have a lot of wealth or high status, but she was still influential because of her actions.  I want to live my life and do things because I believe that it is the right thing and have people follow because they want to do the same.  I want to be remembered for doing good out of the goodness of my heart, not because of fame or fortune.


4. How have you personally experienced growth (either mentally, emotionally, or spiritually) after your own challenges in life?

I have grown greatly from the challenges in my life, like how everyone else does. When I approach a
Challenges have taught me to push through the hard times in
life.  I have learned not to give up or complain because I know
that other people have worse problems than me
challenge and get past it, I come out of it with a new lesson. The challenges in my life have made me become tougher emotionally. You cannot cry or feel bad for yourself every time something doesn't go your way or you have a hard decision to make. You have to push through and remind yourself that this will lead to bigger things. I have also learned from my challenges that everyone is the same. I am not the only one in this world going through a difficult time, and many people have it worse than me. I have learned to be thankful for what I have and not get down on myself when I approach a problem.





Wei, Felicia. “Pope John Paul II.” Growth Textbook Presentations. 19 Mar. 2018, Belmont, Notre Dame High School, Belmont, CA. In class presentation.

Kates, Sophie. “The Eastern Schism.” Growth Textbook Presentations. 19 Mar 2018. Notre Dame High School, Belmont, CA. In class presentation.

Trad, The Rad. “The Rad Trad.” The Great Schism: Old Wounds, 1 Jan. 1970, theradtrad.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-great-schism-old-wounds.html.

Catholic Online. “St. Pope John Paul II - Saints & Angels.” Catholic Online, www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=6996.

“Home.” Home, www.motherteresa.org/.

“The Strengths & Challenges of Investing in Nigeria.” RIGZONE Empowering People in Oil and Gas, www.rigzone.com/news/oil_gas/a/140046/the_strengths_challenges_of_investing_in_nigeria/.

Comments

Popular Posts