Blog Post #11: Bridge to Present

What did you find interesting about the history of the Sisters of Notre Dame?

This is an image of St. Julie, who
is a very inspiring woman that never
lost faith.
What I found interesting about the history of the Sisters of Notre Dame was that St. Julie and Francoise were never discouraged from doing what they thought was right.  During their time women were seen as inferior to men, but it seemed like St. Julie and Francoise did not care.  St. Julie had her faith and Francoise provided the money for the duo to achieve great things in their lives.  No matter what obstacles they approached or who criticized them they continued to provide better lives for girls around the world.  I also found it interesting how two women could produce a worldwide movement that is still continuing today.  It shows how powerful a person's actions can be, and gives young girls like us, hope for a better future.


What is something that you heard from the Alumnae Panel that stuck with you and why?

This is my friend and me. We
both go to Notre Dame, and spend a lot of time together.
This shows how Notre Dame creates a lasting community.
Something that I heard from the Alumnae Panel that stuck out to me was the fact that women who were in school back in the 50s-90s did not have stress.  They cared about their education, but getting into college and doing good in school was not as competitive or as draining as it is today.  In this day, so much pressure is put on kids and teenagers and we are held to a very high standard, which puts us in a bad position.  Another thing I also heard that stuck out to me was the fact that each person loved the community here.  Coming here is like a new family in itself and these alumnae created lifelong friends that they would cherish forever.  It makes me happy to think that I have a loving community here that is going to stay with me throughout my whole life.






What does it mean to you to be a part of the Notre Dame Community?

To be a part of the Notre Dame Community means having people always there for you and a support
This photo shows how Notre Dame creates a loving community
of sisters, who love and care about each other.
system like no other.  At Notre Dame, you feel this sense of love and community that is provided by a school with all girls.  There is no competitiveness about grabbing a guy's attention which means there is less drama between the girls.  Here, I get to make lasting friends that help me through my struggles and care about me.  At this school, you know you are not alone because there is always someone you can talk to, which is great.  Being apart of the Notre Dame Community has made me a better person and allowed me to learn that you can rely on others to pick you up when you are down.


When you leave Notre Dame High School, what do you think are some values that will stay with you?


When I leave Notre Dame, some values that will stay with me are being there for others, caring
Notre Dame taught me to value the friendships I make
and having good experiences.
about your friends, and just being an all-around kind person.  At Notre Dame, you develop a sisterhood with the girls around you, which creates an unbreakable bond.  You know that your friends will be there for you, so you have to be there for them.  I have learned to always be there for those that need support, and be caring towards them.  I also will take away that value of being a kind person.  At Notre Dame, you want to be nice to everyone because all of my fellow students and teachers want what is best for me.  The only thing that I can give them in return is being kind and not being rude to anyone.


“St. Julie Billiart, Patron of the Sick and Poor.” Jean M. Heimann, 11 Dec. 2016, www.jeanmheimann.com/2016/04/st-julie-billiart-patron-of-the-sick-and-poor/.

Comments

Popular Posts